What is the prognosis for children with meningoencephalic bulge?

Approximately 40% of all children with meningoencephalic bullae will achieve normal growth and development after surgical treatment, while the remaining 60% may still have varying degrees of mental and/or physical developmental deficits, with intellectual and cognitive development inversely related to the amount of functional neural tissue in the bullae.
Overall, the prognosis for children with anterior meningoencephalic bulges is better than that for children with occipital lesions. In addition, the prognosis is less favorable in children with other coexisting conditions.

Support Us


Share your experience, or seek help from fellow patients.

Other Languages

English Deutsch Français Español Português 日本語 Русский Bahasa Indonesia